|Stewards is a nonprofit environmental organization that works
in cooperation with the California Department of Parks and Recreation in the Russian
River Sector to provide the public with opportunities for personal inspiration,
satisfaction, and nurturing of spirit and intellect through environmental stewardship
|Suggestions for walks and hikes
1. Round Trip under a mile: Parking lot to Armstrong Tree and Forest Theater along
Pioneer trail or road and back. A short, easy stroll through the Redwoods.
2. A Little longer: (1.7 Miles) Parking lot to Armstrong Tree and then to Picnic
Area along Pioneer Trail. Back along road, Redwoods all the way.
3. A 2.2 mile loop with a 400 foot climb: Parking lot to Picnic Area by way of
the East Ridge along East Ridge Trail. Back along road or Pioneer Trail. A moderate
hike along a ridge shaded by Firs, Oaks, and Madrones with a stroll back through
4. A 2.3 mile loop - A bit more strenuous than #3: Parking lot to Armstrong Tree
and then up Pool Ridge Trail. Loop back to Picnic Area and return along the Pioneer
Trail or road. A 500 foot steady climb with lots of switch backs.
5. A 3.3 mile loop - Definitely a hike: Combine #3 and #4. Parking Lot to Picnic
Area by way of East Ridge Trail Then loop back along Pool Ridge Trail to Armstrong
Tree and back to Parking Lot. Up 400 feet, down, up 500 feet and down again.
6. A 5.6 mile loop with a 1100 foot climb: East Ridge Trail from Parking Lot to
Gilliam Creek Trailhead and loop back along Pool Ridge TraiL
7. A 9.0 mile loop: As in #6 but continue on East Ridge Trail to Bullfrog Pond
and back to Gilliam Creek Trailhead and return along Pool Ridge Trail.
8. A 5.0 mile Back Country loop: Elevation change of 1000 feet. East Austin Trail
Trailhead (Vista Point) to Gilliam Creek. Loop back along Gilliam Creek Trail
and East Ridge Trail to Bullfrog Pond.
9. A 10 mile Back Country loop: As in #8 but continue on East Austin Trail to
Gilliam Creek Service Road and then loop back to Gilliam Creek Trail and back
to Bullfrog Pond.
Back Country Campsite Mileages:
Tom King Camp - 3.1 miles from Vista Point
Mannings Flat Camp - 4.1 miles from Vista Point
Gilliam Creek Camp - 3.9 miles from Trailhead
Parking Lot 120'
Picnic Area 172'
Manning Flat 293'
Gilliam Creek Camp 2005
Bullfrog Pond 1250'
Gilliam Creak Trailhead 1200'
East Ridge Trail at Picnic Area Cutoff 500'